Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Hi, YALE!

A brand new journey had started.

Sitting in this armchair, I recall the past three days in Yale, with expectations of a fabulous and amazing journey. Yale has a really large campus but thus far I have just visited few sites.  I have met many some people from different backgrounds, had many special experiences and learnt about the culture that really impressed me.

As for my very first impression, the style and atmosphere of Yale really impressed me . The beauty of the architecture has been indelibly imprinted on my mind. I had known that Yale has a long history and traditional style before I arrived here. However, I found the beauty is beyond my words. Most of the buildings were constructed in Collegiate Gothic style and the spires and pointed arches exude irresistible charm. Standing in the center of Cross Campus and facing west, I felt a sense of surprise and marvel welling up in me because of the majesty of the Sterling Memorial Library. 
panorama of Sterling Library and Berkeley College
I was also enthralled by Hillhouse Avenue, described as “the most beautiful street in America”. When I found myself on that road accidentally, my heart began to pound with excitement! The American style mansions lined up beside the road and the oak trees shade the Avenue so that I could hardly feel the sun. Walking on the sidewalk with grasslands around made me feel I was strolling around in a park!
Hillhouse Avenue

the fitness center in PWG
outside PWG (from Internet)
I love sports. I wouldn't live through even a single week without running and jumping on the basketball court or working out in the gym. When I stood in front the gymnasium (PWG) of Yale the very first time, I asked myself: "Am I reading the map wrong and have I found the wrong place??" The gym looks like an immense castle, a place where a king lives but not a stadium for sports! It is made of stones with woods and sculptures decorations. However, after I entered it hesitantly, the modern sports facilities boosted up my passion. The sharp contrast fascinated me and made me want to explore more in Yale.   

Yes, Yale is such a place that organically combines the past and the future, the classical atmosphere and the modern age. 

Making this experience even richer I have met many interesting and energetic young people as well as many humorous and enthusiastic teachers and counselors. During the Residential College Welcome, a thrill of pleasure and vitality rippled around the room. I love being with energetic guys. I also met the lively teacher who ties her blonde hair up and always wear the biggest grin on her face; the handsome roommate from France whose name sounds like a piece of intriguing melody; the nice and lovely girl from Taiwan; and many many other elegant and graceful people. I can't wait anymore to spend the next 6 weeks with them!

Last but not the least, I had a glimpse into American culture. I an fascinated by the squared blue button beside each entryway with the picture of a wheelchair and the words “Press To Operate Door” on it when I first saw it. Next to almost every gate, there is a button like that. If you press it, the gate will open itself automatically and it’s really convenient for the disabled people who need it. Honestly, I've never seen things like this before. And this kind of humane and respectful view that Americans hold towards others makes me want to stand up and applaud. 
Well I’m in such a place now, a fusion of distinctive campus, a bunch of nice people and the to-be-explored American culture.

All in all, I am almost in love with Yale at first sight. It has drawn me in!



2016.6.29
at Bass Library

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely MikeXu! You have successfully left the formal office voice of your first draft behind and jumped into the emotional world with both feet...observant, introspective, and sensitive to your surroundings. Well done!

    ReplyDelete