Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Sitting on the Lawn

It was the very first time that I had sat under a tree, on the grass so quietly and peacefully.

It’s a broad lawn just out the gate from Calhoun College. I was just wandering around after dinner and I found this spot. I stooped down and sat there in the shade. At that moment, I felt a little dizzy, unable to focus my eyes or thoughts and I dropped my almost lifeless body leaning   against the tree. I just wanted to spend the rest of the day enjoying the lazy time. That’s not just because of scenery, but a desire to be calm, relaxed and balanced. It was a time for contemplation and even inspiration and insight.

Feeling the breeze blowing through my hair, smelling the aroma from the wet lawn and soil, listening to the yelp and laughter ringing around, a sense of happiness swirled inside me. It was a great enjoyment for every sensory organs. After my whole body imbibed delight through every pore, I could finally concentrate on the beautiful scene unfolding before me.

The dazzling beauty of nature waved in the branches of trees and the green blades of grass. In front of me I saw the verdant grass, and behind me, it was the old tree, which has probably been standing for hundreds of years. The rings engraved on it are a witness to considerable greatness, frustration, happiness and pain. It will also accompany and witness my experience and gain of this month. Looking toward the distance, the soaring spires of the library reached to the sky, standing with the setting sun side by side. From outside, the walls were made from mottled beige stones that had a rough feel and they had been sandwiched together by crumbling cement, which recounted the history of this campus. On either side of the green are the historical quaint old Collegiate Gothic architectures. All of this is so exquisite that it’s like a movie set where time doesn’t leave a mark.


A sparrow clattered from sunlight to shade, fussed in branches and then hung overhead. Meanwhile a squirrel jumped nimbly up the tree with his tail wagging. It was time to go and I would undoubtedly be back here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment